Weed brownies have been a classic stoner treat for some time now. However, crafting them can sometimes be overwhelming, especially if you’re unfamiliar with the wonderful world of cooking with cannabis. In this blog, we’ve put together all the information you need to know to make killer cannabis brownies at home.
From brownie basics and essentials to a favourite DIY recipe of ours, it has never been easier and more enjoyable to bake some cannabis treats in the comfort of your own home. We have carefully crafted this recipe and would love to share some of our tricks with you!
The Weed Brownie Basics
Along with being one of the most iconic, marijuana-infused brownies are also one of the simplest edibles to create on your own. While they can seem daunting and tough to inexperienced bakers, the science behind pot brownies is really simple and easy to follow.
THC and a select group of other cannabinoids are fat-soluble, meaning they can be absorbed by fatty substances. All cannabis brownie recipes use this trait by infusing some variation of cooking fat (usually butter or oil) with cannabis.
The process is unexpectedly easy; all it takes is some cooking fat, a stove with a low-heat setting, something to filter the weed from the fat once finished, such as cheesecloth, and some premium quality bud to infuse the brownies with. Cannabutter is the base of countless cannabis edibles. From classic treats such as pot brownies and cookies to more modern favourites like butter chicken, cannabutter is an important staple ingredient that can be used to infuse many meals with a wholesome garnish of cannabis goodness.
- 28g cannabis flower, medium-fine grind
- 1 litre water
- 4 sticks (roughly 450g) quality butter
- Baking tray and baking paper
- Container for storage
How to Make Cannabutter:
- Preheat your oven to 110°C (230°F).
- Spread your bud evenly on a lined baking tray and put in the oven for roughly 30 minutes. Stir the weed around with a spoon every 15 minutes.
- Grind your decarboxylated cannabis after baking it if you had not done so beforehand.
- Use 1 litre of water to boil and add in your butter. Stir, letting the butter to melt fully, and mix entirely with the water.
- Add your weed to the mixture and turn down the heat to low. Your butter mixture should only ever reach a soft state.
- Leave the mixture to sit for about 3 hours, stirring regularly. It should then reduce and have a thick, glossy, buttery texture.
- Cool your mixture before straining it through a cheesecloth into a plastic container. Remember to squeeze remaining marijuana left in the cheesecloth to get out as much butter as possible.
- Store the butter in the fridge till firm. Any remaining water will separate from your butter and can easily be dried up with a paper towel.
Once you’ve got your infused cannabutter locked and loaded, now’s the time to make the actual brownies!
- 225g good-quality chocolate
- ¾ cup (170g) cannabutter, melted
- 1¼ cups (280g) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ cup (90g) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (30g) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
How to Make Cannabis Brownies:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Break chocolate pieces into chunks. Melt half and save the rest.
- Mix melted butter and sugar, then introduce eggs and vanilla until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Whisk in the melted chocolate. Make sure it isn’t too hot or the eggs will scramble.
- Combine flour, salt and cocoa powder, then sift.
- Fold the sifted dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Do not overmix.
- Bake for roughly 20-25 minutes.
- Enjoy your treats!
If you’re uncertain about your tolerance with edibles, eating half servings and pacing yourself is advised. Weed edibles often take about an hour or two to kick in. Before indulging in the whole batch and getting as high as possible, make sure you let them sit in and sedate you before you decide that you need to devour more.